At the bottom of the staircase I first stood
Beholding it with an eager face;
Some known men I saw on those steps
Involved in a strangely unknown race.
Allured by the stairs they fought each other
To reach the topmost, elusive step;
Its gold-like glitter bewitched me too-
That call! I just could not escape.
Foregoing all else I began to climb,
Those men I then began to fight
To own the exalted, topmost spot
By winning the war of brutal might.
I knew I had to defy the odds
-This led me to my dreadful sin:
I killed the rest- one by one,
So they could lose and I could win.
I reached the top of the stairs at last,
Overcoming my honest, fruitless past
I won that spot of glittering fame
I was about to write in it my name;
Just then! A moment of wordless pain:
I knew then I was also slain.
At the end of my life’s selfish days
After my greedy wild goose chase
I found my corpse at the bottom stair
Along with the others, in despair.
My restless soul in full distress
Can now realise and confess
My immoral sin, my fatal crime
To climb upwards and reach the top
I climbed downwards all the time.
Beholding it with an eager face;
Some known men I saw on those steps
Involved in a strangely unknown race.
Allured by the stairs they fought each other
To reach the topmost, elusive step;
Its gold-like glitter bewitched me too-
That call! I just could not escape.
Foregoing all else I began to climb,
Those men I then began to fight
To own the exalted, topmost spot
By winning the war of brutal might.
I knew I had to defy the odds
-This led me to my dreadful sin:
I killed the rest- one by one,
So they could lose and I could win.
I reached the top of the stairs at last,
Overcoming my honest, fruitless past
I won that spot of glittering fame
I was about to write in it my name;
Just then! A moment of wordless pain:
I knew then I was also slain.
At the end of my life’s selfish days
After my greedy wild goose chase
I found my corpse at the bottom stair
Along with the others, in despair.
My restless soul in full distress
Can now realise and confess
My immoral sin, my fatal crime
To climb upwards and reach the top
I climbed downwards all the time.

No comments:
Post a Comment